Who will be able to participate in future studies?
Eligible are adults suffering from hereditary retinal degenerations (retinitis pigmentosa, choroideremia, cone-rod dystrophy) provided that they are:
Completely blind (at least in one eye) or, if some residual light perception is present, the patient should not depend on it for orientation.
- Former visual experience should have existed at least up to age 12.
Who cannot be considered for studies with retinal implants in TÃ¼bingen ?
Unfortunately, the retinal implant is not suited for patients suffering from
- retinal circulation disorders (vascular obliteration, thrombosis)
- diabetic retinopathy (in diabetes)
- retinal detachment
- blindness due to stroke
- optic nerve injuries, e.g. due to accident
- patients with general diseases prohibiting anesthesia for several hours
Also, at present the subretinal implant is not applicable in patients with age-related macular degeneration.